Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I can't touch it, or taste it or feel it, but makes one feel good all the time…….…..


I can't touch it, or taste it or feel it, but makes one feel good all the time…….…..

 

Christmas is for love, joy, giving and sharing, laughter, and reuniting with family and friends. Mark was an 11 year old orphan who lived with his aunt, a bitter middle aged woman greatly annoyed with the burden of caring for her dead sister's son. She never failed to remind young Mark, if it hadn't been for her generosity, he would be a vagrant, homeless waif. Still, with all the scolding and chilliness at home, he was a sweet and gentle child. I had not noticed Mark particularly until he began staying after class each day to help me straighten up the room. When we did talk, Mark spoke mostly of his mother. Though he was quite small when she died, he remembered a kind, gentle, loving woman, who always spent much time with him. As Christmas drew near however, Mark failed to stay after school each day. I stopped him one afternoon and asked why he no longer helped me in the room and told how I had missed him. Finally came the last school day before Christmas. Mark crept slowly into the room late that afternoon with his hands concealing something behind his back which was a present for me. He held out his hands, and there lying in his small palms was a tiny wooden box. He said that I can't touch it, or taste it or feel it, but his mother always said it makes one feel good all the time, warm or cold nights, and safe when one is all alone. "What is it Mark," I asked gently, "that will make me feel so good?" "It's love," he whispered softly, "and mother always said it's best when you give it away." And he turned and quietly left the room. So now I keep a small box in my living room and only smile and I explain my friends that there is love in it. Yes, Christmas is for gaiety, mirth and song, for good and wondrous gifts. But mostly, Christmas is for love.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If this blog has brought you nearer to God, please leave a comment. Share this blog to your friends too.